Inside out

It has been a month and a half since I asked CIGA to explain why they thought arbitration was an acceptable option given that they had done a completely inadequate technical assessment.
In a previous blog I had documented that the problem cavity was narrower in places than the 50mm mandated by building control and the BAA certificate.
The technical manager at CIGA visited and did nothing but take photos of the building and try to verify the cavity depth. Initially he borrowed my tiny flexible measuring tape (which of course bends and so over estimates the cavity depth) and then tried to hook it on to the edge of the brick in the hole to get the size of the brick.
In another spot he used a drill bit and his thumb and subtracted the brick that he measured earlier and in both instances came up with a figure of 55mm.
I told him I didn't trust his methods as they didn't match up with my own when measuring the imperial brick which confirmed a standard imperial brick size of 110mm in depth.

That puts me in a difficult situation where it's my word again someone with "37 year experience in the industry" who's whole career involves cavities.
Of course CIGA accused me of ignoring the measurements, which I knew they would but it left me feeling a bit vulnerable as even things that I thought were objective are apparently open to interpretation.

Today I decided to take a floorboard panel up for a different reason but luckily I found a whole for the electrics in the internal wall.



As you can see the cavity is filled with rubble and very sparse CWI.


Measuring the cavity and photographing it was a bit tricky so i took a bit of wood and sawed it 50mm wide then then tried to slot it between to bricks.
I then sawed 1mm off and kept inserting it until I found a snug fit that could be photographed.
(please note this is brick to brick - as you can see the mortar protrudes into the cavity , narrowing it by a further 5mm or so)



Even a this slight angle the cavity measures at 4.63 which tallies up with my measurements from the outside.

Also noted is a brick/mortar which is solidly wedged causing a bridge between the cavities.


If this is not clear evidence a negligently installed cavity then I really don't know what more evidence I can provide.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The controversy over Cavity Wall Insulation 'topups'

Lintels, weep holes and render

Discrepancies between Internal and external DPC (damp proof course)